Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thug Life


People who have been shot love bringing up the fact that they were shot. This works out well if you are an MC because it automatically endows you with a certain level of street cred. If you're a regular gunshot victim, it just makes everyone else around you uncomfortable. If you keep talking about getting shot, you will lose all your friends. I might even go so far as to say that someone will choose to shoot you again. My Grandmother was shot during an armed robbery in 1977 and if you meet her, she will bring it up and make you feel weird.

Let us now travel back to a simpler time, 2006...the year I made the unfortunate mistake of seeing Step Up with Grandma. I will briefly recap the plot.

A Plot:

She's rich and he's poor, but they dance together. Society doesn't like it, but they don't care.





B Plot:

Tatum Channing/Channing Tatum/Chatum Tanning's friend Skinny Carter spends the movie committing crimes. While attempting to steal a car, he gets shot and dies in the street.






It was already embarrassing that I was seeing Step Up with my Grandmother, but 16-year-old me wanted to curl up and die when she started shouting in the theater. She kept movie-talking about how Skinny Carter wouldn't have been shot were it not for his poor life choices.

You can't tell from this homage to Mystery Science Theater 3000 but trust me, I'm super embarrassed.  Ironically, I am not embarrassed about this homage to Mystery Science Theater.

All the cool people I went to high school with were there...feeling uncomfortable/making fun of me.

Don't do this to your grandkids.

1 comment: