Thursday, July 21, 2011

TV Raised Me Better than That

I have been watching kind of a lot of Disney Channel lately. It has mostly been Fish Hooks because that show is hilarious and awesome. I have come to realize that I am exactly like Clamantha in every way.

Except the obvious not-being-a-clam way.

I started thinking about the role models I had as a child. Naturally, they were all on TV in the 90s. I wrote down their character traits to see how I've stacked up and if my hero worship actually had any effect on the person I am today.

Captain Kathryn Janeway
 Trailblazer
 Starfleet Captain
 Bossy

Special Agent Dana Scully
 Logical
 Sensible shoes
 Red hair
Martha Stewart
 Crafty
 "Crafty"
 Total B-word

If I had to choose a role model from the current crop of women on television, I think I would go for Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. She's smart and funny but emulating her would give me the wiggle room I need to be both annoying and socially inept.

Also she loves waffles.

2 comments: